Remember Me

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Finacea vs. Retinoids: interesting new information!!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finacea vs. Retinoids: interesting new information!!

Finacea vs. Retinoids: interesting new information!! 6 years, 2 months ago #3223

• loralei
  • Platinum Boarder
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also posted this in rosacea forum, but it may get overlooked there:
After digging a little deeper concerning using finacea(azelaic acid) and whether I still need a retinoid, I found this info in Paula's Beauty Bible, P.244:

Azelaic Acid:

The introduction of new and reformulated prescriptions exfoliants in more emollient or nonalcohol bases reflects the demand for medications that meet the needs of older women looking for ways to deal with pre-and postmenopausal acne. Differen, the new tretinoins, and azelaic acid all affect the way skin cells are formed and shed in the skin layers and inside the pore lining. The difference with azelaic acid is that in addition to exfoliating the skin, it also performs an antimicrobial action on the skin.
Technically, azelaic acid is saturated decaboxylic acid found naturally in wheat,rye and barley that behaves like a 5% topical benzoyl peroxide gel, a 0.05% tretinoin cream, or a 2% erthromycin cream meaning it can exfoliate and disinfect the skin at the same time. Unlike tretinoins, azelaic acid is not likely to cause sun sensitivity.

If I read this correctly, this means you could use the finacea interchangeably with a 0.05% tretinoin, right? And since I was using OTC retinol, which isnt even as strong as rx tretinoin, I should be find just using the finacea, in fact I think I'd be over-exfoliating my skin if I continue to use the retinol product. Any thoughts?
OSPW, 53 Years Old. Stinging, mild rosacea sub-types
Tried and true routine:Philosophy Purity made Simple daily am/pm( Mac Cleanse-off oil pm): 3 x wk Philosophy Microdelivery exfoliating wash:Philosophy The Present daily under Bare Minerals matte powder, nightly Philosophy Miracle in a Jar or Cerave PM and Renova or Tazorac . Use my Clarisonic Mia nightly.Skin looks great!
The topic has been locked.

Finacea vs. Retinoids: interesting new information!! 6 years, 2 months ago #27538

• loralei
  • Platinum Boarder
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also posted this in rosacea forum, but it may get overlooked there:
After digging a little deeper concerning using finacea(azelaic acid) and whether I still need a retinoid, I found this info in Paula's Beauty Bible, P.244:

Azelaic Acid:

The introduction of new and reformulated prescriptions exfoliants in more emollient or nonalcohol bases reflects the demand for medications that meet the needs of older women looking for ways to deal with pre-and postmenopausal acne. Differen, the new tretinoins, and azelaic acid all affect the way skin cells are formed and shed in the skin layers and inside the pore lining. The difference with azelaic acid is that in addition to exfoliating the skin, it also performs an antimicrobial action on the skin.
Technically, azelaic acid is saturated decaboxylic acid found naturally in wheat,rye and barley that behaves like a 5% topical benzoyl peroxide gel, a 0.05% tretinoin cream, or a 2% erthromycin cream meaning it can exfoliate and disinfect the skin at the same time. Unlike tretinoins, azelaic acid is not likely to cause sun sensitivity.

If I read this correctly, this means you could use the finacea interchangeably with a 0.05% tretinoin, right? And since I was using OTC retinol, which isnt even as strong as rx tretinoin, I should be find just using the finacea, in fact I think I'd be over-exfoliating my skin if I continue to use the retinol product. Any thoughts?
Tried and true routine:Philosophy Purity made Simple daily am/pm( Mac Cleanse-off oil pm): 3 x wk Philosophy Microdelivery exfoliating wash:Philosophy The Present daily under Bare Minerals matte powder, nightly Philosophy Miracle in a Jar or Cerave PM and Renova or Tazorac . Use my Clarisonic Mia nightly.Skin looks great!

Finacea vs. Retinoids: interesting new information!! 6 years, 2 months ago #27540

• faux
  • Gold Boarder
you could, but why is the question -- what are you hoping to gain?

i guess we don't interpret the same information in a similar manner. this is essentialy the same information i was relaying to you a few days ago. if the fnacea acts as a 0.05% tretinoin, then why would you need another product on alternate days to carry out the same functon? the finanacea already contains the ingredient you are seeking in addition to other ingredients that will benefit your rosacea beyond what you can imagine now... what are you hoping to gain by alternating?

sorry i can't be more helpful.

cheryl
:-[ D-12/S-72/N-22/T-39 -- [color=Red]rosacea, stinger  :-[/color]

Finacea vs. Retinoids: interesting new information!! 6 years, 2 months ago #27545

• mady
  • Platinum Boarder
Loralei,are you seeing changes since you started using both?
They are compatible ,but if you overexfolate you compromise your barrier. Isn’t that correct?
Uhh!! I’ve learned so much here.
However I did some research for you focusing in the way this two drugs work.After all these are medicines .
Her statements are correct Azealic acid is an antimicrobial that as such inhibit bacterium growing in the pores and as a consequence decreases inflammation. That’s what is does for rosacea acne and acne itself. :o

Now, for the skin (glow , no wrinkles ,etc..) she says that affect the way skin cells are formed and shed in the skin layers and inside the pore lining .That’s great!!!That mean that you will get exfoliation if you use them. That also can decrease pigmentation etc…
This what I got from another source :” retinoids have the ability to enter the cell nucleus and stimulate mechanism that helps to improve facial skin by increasing the number of granular cell layers and causing epidermal edema.” (This means by making the hard outer layer of your skin less thick and the inner layer more dense)

In my modest opinion Azealic acid can complement the retinoids ,but retinoids for the way they work are the stars, if you can tolerate them of course. If you read the assessment for W/T if you use retinoids you score less W that if you do not. Azealic acid is not there .Retinoids do not disinfect the skin whatsoever. “Tretinoin reduces the cell layers of the stratum corneum. The bacterium involved in acne, Propionibacterium acnes, and sebum production are unaffected." 8)

HTH
Mady
1/2008:O-38.5 S-50 P-28 W-45<br />4/2008:O-35 S-45.5 P-19 W-43

Finacea vs. Retinoids: interesting new information!! 6 years, 2 months ago #27551

• loralei
  • Platinum Boarder
faux wrote:

you could, but why is the question -- what are you hoping to gain?

i guess we don't interpret the same information in a similar manner. this is essentialy the same information i was relaying to you a few days ago. if the fnacea acts as a 0.05% tretinoin, then why would you need another product on alternate days to carry out the same functon? the finanacea already contains the ingredient you are seeking in addition to other ingredients that will benefit your rosacea beyond what you can imagine now... what are you hoping to gain by alternating?

sorry i can't be more helpful.
Cheryl I'm sorry if I was unclear: when I said I could use the finacea interchangeably for the retinoid I meant in place of it, not alternating with it.
I am agreeing with what you're saying: I don't think I need both at all, in fact, I could be doing my skin harm using too many exfoliants, esp with the rosacea.

cheryl

Finacea vs. Retinoids: interesting new information!! 6 years, 2 months ago #27559

• Gail
  • Platinum Boarder
loralei wrote:

Cheryl I'm sorry if I was unclear: when I said I could use the finacea interchangeably for the retinoid I meant in place of it, not alternating with it.
I am agreeing with what you're saying: I don't think I need both at all, in fact, I could be doing my skin harm using too many exfoliants, esp with the rosacea.

Loralei, I misunderstood as well -- I thought you meant you wanted to use both products, too, except I thought you meant you wanted to layer the 2 together. Sorry! (While I didn't respond to this thread, I did respond to one of your earlier ones saying I wouldn't use Finacea and a retinoid together.) I'm actually more impressed with Finacea than retinols/retinoids in terms of keeping breakouts at bay. There are times I can feel a really big, bad breakout forming under the skin and Finacea will actually make the thing disappear, sometimes overnight. It can be amazing stuff. But I could never use it the way my derm recommended (2 x a day) because my skin couldn't handle it that often -- got way too much dryness and irritation.
Age - 57; OSPW (32, 35, 29, 47)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds