Remember Me

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

RENOVA users - Help!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: RENOVA users - Help!

RENOVA users - Help! 3 years ago #5447

In March, my doctor prescribed Renova for my face discoloration. I have patches in the usual "melasma" spots: upper lip, middle of forehead, cheeks, nose. I've used the Renova every night, and I'm applying about twice as much as the "pea" size, because the "pea" size seemed to barely cover my face. I haven't had anything resembling what I've read about Renova reactions.

It's now almost July. I looked in the mirror this morning and I had to admit what I'd been suspecting. The discoloration is markedly worse. The patches are much bigger, and there are different shades of brown. My skin is very smooth, and healthy-looking, except for my skintone. It used to bother me, but I never used "full-coverage" foundations or concealers. Now I have to use heavier coverage or I look ashy.

Outdoors I use SPF30 PA+++, and indoors I use SPF 20 Skin Cancer Foundation approved sunscreen. Every day.

I live in Southern California, and this summer we're vacationing in Florida, Arizona, Hawaii, and Las Vegas. I LOVE the sun - but I am manic about sunscreen usage. I'm wondering if I should discontinue Renova, for the time being, and, if so, what is a good summertime skin treatment? I love Arcona Vitamin A Serum, but it has retinol and glycolic acid, so, perhaps, that would only make matters worse.

Thx!
The topic has been locked.

RENOVA users - Help! 3 years ago #39573

In March, my doctor prescribed Renova for my face discoloration. I have patches in the usual "melasma" spots: upper lip, middle of forehead, cheeks, nose. I've used the Renova every night, and I'm applying about twice as much as the "pea" size, because the "pea" size seemed to barely cover my face. I haven't had anything resembling what I've read about Renova reactions.

It's now almost July. I looked in the mirror this morning and I had to admit what I'd been suspecting. The discoloration is markedly worse. The patches are much bigger, and there are different shades of brown. My skin is very smooth, and healthy-looking, except for my skintone. It used to bother me, but I never used "full-coverage" foundations or concealers. Now I have to use heavier coverage or I look ashy.

Outdoors I use SPF30 PA+++, and indoors I use SPF 20 Skin Cancer Foundation approved sunscreen. Every day.

I live in Southern California, and this summer we're vacationing in Florida, Arizona, Hawaii, and Las Vegas. I LOVE the sun - but I am manic about sunscreen usage. I'm wondering if I should discontinue Renova, for the time being, and, if so, what is a good summertime skin treatment? I love Arcona Vitamin A Serum, but it has retinol and glycolic acid, so, perhaps, that would only make matters worse.

Thx!

RENOVA users - Help! 3 years ago #39587

• josh
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Dermadoctor Ain' Misbehavin SPF30 is not very photostable (meaning the UVA protection breaks down very quickly), and that could well be the reason for your pigmentation problem.

I'd suggest another sunscreen, possibly something from Europe with a very high PPD (perhaps from La Roche-Posay).

I'm also curious as to what the Skin Cancer Foundation recommended sunscreen is? Unfortunately, they do tend to recommend a number of sunscreens which don't provide adequate protection. To get their "seal of approval", a company only had to pay the prescribed fee. I don't know whether that's still the case, but it makes me more cautious about believing their recommendations.

BTW, is that you in your avatar?
Josh / 41 / male / DSPW-OSPW / acne and clog prone / reactive.

RENOVA users - Help! 3 years ago #39589

Yes, that is me in the avatar...

I did not know that that Dermadoctor AM sunscreen isn't photostable...I had read somewhere that Dermadoctor's "Body Guard" wasn't photostable, but I thought the PA+++ rating indicated that the photostability of the Ain't Misbehavin formula had been verified. Of course, I may have read that on the Dermadoctor website, so perhaps I've been naive.

I also use Olay Complete SPF20, and sometimes Jergen's Natural Glow SPF20. I started using both of these because of their recommendations at the Skin Cancer Foundation...

When I'm outdoors I "refresh" my sunscreen with Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF 30.

For my body, I usually use Ahava sunscreens.

RENOVA users - Help! 3 years ago #39590

Maybe your doctor should have prescribed Tri-Luma. Renova contain tretinoin that can be irritating for some people. I am guessing that for a few people, the ingredient can trigger melanin production (too much irritation, perhaps). Why don't you incorporate a skin-lightener ingredient and combine it with Renova. You may want to use Renova and skin-lightener at opposite end of the day to avoid cancellation of the active ingredient. Another thing, how liberal do you apply your synthetic sunscreen? Have you tried physical sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide? You can bet on the physical sunblock much more than the synthetic ones for broad-spectrum protection.

Non-prescription Options

SkinCeutical CE Ferulic acid serum
Clinicians Complex Super C-Plus Serum
PCA SkinĀ® (pHaze 13) Pigment GelĀ®
Paula's Choice RESIST Antioxidant Concentrate
Paula's Choice RESIST Clearly Remarkable Skin Lightning Gel OR lotion
Skin Effects by Dr. Jeffrey Dover Flawless Effects Advanced Brightening Complex
O:42, S:43, P:38.5, W:51 (3 June 2011).

RENOVA users - Help! 3 years ago #39592

• josh
  • Platinum Boarder
CaliRose,

The PA rating has nothing to do with stability, unfortunately. The combination of oxtinoxate and avobenzone is very tricky to stabilise, and this product doesn't contain any of the ingredients known to stabilise the combination well.

Applying the PTR powder over the top could be destabilising it further as uncoated minerals (which is what's in the PTR Instant Mineral products) destabilise avobenzone.

The Olay Complete isn't bad, it does contain stable UVA protection, though the UVA protection isn't particularly high.

The Jergens Natural Glow SPF 20 products contain almost no UVA protection! Their active ingredients are Octinoxate and Oxybenzone, both of which are mainly UVB filters and oxybenzone only slightly dips into the UVA (short-wave UVA) spectrum. So, with the Jergens most UVA rays are completely passing it.

So much for a Cancer Council recommendation huh! You could well end up with skin cancer relying upon that product! *sigh*

So, in my mind your problems are explained by you not using (not through your own fault) adequate UV protection. I'd suggest rethinking your sunscreens and finding something with better UVA protection, and once again I'd recommend you buy a European sunscreen as they are superior. I'm not talking about a European brand that's sold in the US, I'm talking about a formulation that's only sold in Europe (many sites sell these). In the meanwhile, La Roche-Posay do make a very good SPF 15 product that's available in the US, and I'd say that will be substantially better than what you're currently using, despite the lower SPF. Shiseido also make some very good sunscreens that are available in the US.

The Ahava body sunscreens all appear to be good!

As to your avatar... you are *gorgeous*!
Josh / 41 / male / DSPW-OSPW / acne and clog prone / reactive.
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds